My Photo
Name:
Location: Delhi, Delhi, India

get quiet, a little more, more quiet...now we can talk

Monday, August 21, 2006

May you always smile kid.

I always associate places that I come across with a set of emotions. While traveling to work in the dingy Public Transport System I get a chance to view this city of mine from a vantage point. Towards the end of the journey as I reach Connaught Place, I am mostly looking out of the window, with a stolid gaze scanning the horizon . A couple of days back as soon as the driver pulled up on a red light, a board caught my attention. On it was written “ Arya Orphanage”. I had never paid attention to this signpost and it was just besides the road. Located in the close proximity of Barakhamba Road area, the sight of this dilapidated architecture sure does bring a wry smile on your face. I mean just besides the corporate bustle and in the neighborhood of posh headquarters of various embassies was this orphanage. The orphanage is secluded from the outside world by a 7 feet boundary. Traveling by bus, I could still peek inside those walls. I saw a grand entry in old English style with two huge pillars supporting an overhead shed. There was a small verandah and a hemispherical patch of green grass in the courtyard. I could as well look inside a hall, which seemed to be a dormitory. The light was yellow, because of electric bulbs I guess. I for one do not like yellow light. There were two kids in their teens, whom I could see from where i was, who were arranging some furniture inside the dormitory. I could not help but feel for these kids. I mean look at the irony of it all, These kids have a Notting Hill address to call their home but there is no way they can relate to the materialistic bustle around them. Later I surfed on the net and was relieved that the orphanage was well supported by APEX Foundation. But still I have made a resolution to go and spend some time with these kids. I will take my guitar and a box of chocolates and a couple of fluorescent electric tubes and will spend at least one full Sunday afternoon with these kids.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home