My Photo
Name:
Location: Delhi, Delhi, India

get quiet, a little more, more quiet...now we can talk

Thursday, July 13, 2006

I have been reading

Well I am back after a long hiatus. There is no specific reason that I can state, its just one of those phases wherein all you want is to "LET ME BE!!!!!” Well I did catch up on a little bit of reading. Here are my rusty views on these books: Finished reading An Equal Music-Vikram Seth. The plot is of the kinds wherein the author just picks up some sheets while he is sitting in a French Coffee House and just starts writing. The novel is a must read if you are into expressions. U have to give it to the guy, no one does it better in portraying mundane with such vivid animation as Vikram Seth. Blink-Malcomm Gladwell. Well this one starts off pretty good. The autor propounds on expostulating some groundbreaking, radical point of view and the readers starts to nod his head in appreciation as he turns the pages. Then he goes on to build up on his theory. Chapter upon chapter of preface building and then suddenly when you think that the author will add his two paise worth of genuine insight, the book ends. Such a sham. Freakonomics: Steven Levitt & Stephen Lubner Well this one is all about data collation/data interpretation/data extrapolation For e.g. what if I try to time myself for a whole month on my smoking habits, brands I smoke, no. of puffs I take, the angle of the projectile at which the butt flies off in the air before hitting the ground etcetera, and then I put that data across and I try to answer questions like “ My Behavioral patterns Vs. No. of cigarattes smoked.” And then come up with some crap which even if stated makes no difference in where the sun rises. Means this guy has inferred some really weird conjectures. A must read if you are too calm and would like to get pissed or agitated. Also read Five point someone-Chetan Bhagat. this is what a neurosurgeon can read while he is in the middle of a brain surgery. It is one book, which you can read with a straight face. But then the guy is not a writer per se. Well here I am scrapping off these books, which some people might consider otherwise. But then again this is my space and these are my views. So if you don't agree then I couldn't care less.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home